116 replies to this topic

#61 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

Back on topic.  I can't say that I am thrilled with the update today.  The only thing I wanted to see change was Alt Play and the ball drop glitch fixed.

Everthing else appears a bit out of whack.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#62 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

Back on topic.  I can't say that I am thrilled with the update today.  The only thing I wanted to see change was Alt Play and the ball drop glitch fixed.

Everthing else appears a bit out of whack.

Agreed.
One step forward but some lateral moves and then a big step backwards in smoothness on my setup (despite always being at 60fps). Ugh.

#63 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

Did the changes to the wind at low speeds affect ALL wind speeds? Just tried to play in Windy conditions for the first time. Had a 52mph head wind. Now, I don't think I've ever played in 52mph winds in real life, so I can't say from experience, but, my shots all had this huge "veering off" quality to them. I'd estimate the ball moved about 30 or 40 yards to one side, plus of course, the 40 or 50 yards that the wind was dropping the shot. I also never played in Windy before the patch either , so maybe it was that way too. Just curious.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#64 Jimmy

Jimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationUK, Cheshire

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

I thought the wind was almost spot on real life before, maybe just a little more effect adding but after latest patch I think it has to much effect. Shame that really because in my opinion it didnt need fixing. Maybe just a slight tweak here n there.

#65 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

a big step backwards in smoothness on my setup (despite always being at 60fps). Ugh.

On the new course I'm getting the tiniest drop in performance at around 45FPS and ultra high settings so no complaints from me.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#66 Jimmy

Jimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationUK, Cheshire

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

On the new course I'm getting the tiniest drop in performance at around 45FPS and ultra high settings so no complaints from me.

same settings here and I have gained performance on all courses but new course struggles on some holes(25fps) and some holes are unbelieveably smooth.

#67 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Agreed.
One step forward but some lateral moves and then a big step backwards in smoothness on my setup (despite always being at 60fps). Ugh.

The update has definitely effected the performance on my PC too. It seems ok when you tee off on the first but gets a little worse as you progress.
I'd agree about the bounce on the chipping. Once bounce and the ball shoots along the ground.
The bounce on drives seems a little better but there is still the tendency for the ball to bounce one or two times and then shoot along the ground.
I've never liked the putting system but I will see what happens when the avatar is swinging in real time with the input.
As the update has already been tested by the small band of brothers, did they not make any mention of the strange ball physics to the devs?
It's unfortunate that everyone gets so excited about the next update only to be left mildly dissapointed. I guess that's the nature of an ea title. It will all come good in the end. ;-)
  • RobV likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#68 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

One of the challenges is you fix things some people wanted but then find out others did not want those things fixed.  Its the nature of the beast the disgruntled will be more vocal than the happy.  As a result you make the disgruntled happy and the happy disgruntled.

• JoeF, cajuncapgun, ☠InDaSkies☠ and 3 others like this

#69 Jimmy

Jimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationUK, Cheshire

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

One of the challenges is you fix things some people wanted but then find out others did not want those things fixed. Its the nature of the beast the disgruntled will be more vocal than the happy. As a result you make the disgruntled happy and the happy disgruntled.

Thats right Andrew just like politics, your never going to please everyone. And I know I have made a comment about the wind but Im actually getting use to it now and rather liking it. If it could be toned down slightly that would be great but not as much as once thought. My only gripe is performance on certain holes but that could be my own hardware. Like Ive mentioned tho Im due an upgrade soon;-). All in all great update, great work and excellent golf sim. Your getting there guys:-)

#70 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

The update has definitely effected the performance on my PC too. It seems ok when you tee off on the first but gets a little worse as you progress.
I'd agree about the bounce on the chipping. Once bounce and the ball shoots along the ground.
The bounce on drives seems a little better but there is still the tendency for the ball to bounce one or two times and then shoot along the ground.
I've never liked the putting system but I will see what happens when the avatar is swinging in real time with the input.
As the update has already been tested by the small band of brothers, did they not make any mention of the strange ball physics to the devs?
It's unfortunate that everyone gets so excited about the next update only to be left mildly dissapointed. I guess that's the nature of an ea title. It will all come good in the end. ;-)

There were approximately 400 posts made the testers on multiple updates of 1.2.1.5 before release. Many of them did involve ball physics. However, as you obviously understand, we can only make recommendations and suggestions like all of the EA beta testers. Our main task in pre-testing updates, prior to release, is to look for any 'show stoppers'. For example, incorrect MOP scoring, garbled screen presentations, putts that go nowhere, etc. (Probably a very poor list of examples). While, we do see and post concerns that pertain to 'tweaks', we have no direct control over final changes prior to release.

I think that it's important to remember that all EA participants are testers. That's the purpose of an EA. I'm absolutely amazed and very appreciative of Andrew's and Mike's support to ideas coming from both the 'small test group' and the EA community overall. When all said and done, I'm convinced that this will be a 'fantastic product'.

• Harald and ☠InDaSkies☠ like this
Richard

Posted Image

#71 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

I am very patient by nature, as I'm sure are many others are on this forum. Getting to a point where the game is accepted by the majority of us will take time, but I'm sure that it will be worth waiting for in the end. Keep up the good work PP chaps.
  • Richard likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#72 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

I haven't tried to play with the new update yet but will this evening upon return. I have played video games now for many years and play racing, football, basketball, baseball, hockey an others and have yet to ever play a video game that was perfect and probably never will. Some have come close but there will always be something that someone doesn't like and in the end we live with it. Most here have played links since its inception and still do and it had many flaws yet we played that game in three decades if you think about it and that amazing. We are little over a month into this game and it is much more complicated than Links and we are playing it and enjoying it and yes it has issues but again Time is on our side. In the end it's all good.
  • Richard and Ted_Ball like this

#73 PurpleTurf

PurpleTurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove, MN

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

One of the challenges is you fix things some people wanted but then find out others did not want those things fixed.  Its the nature of the beast the disgruntled will be more vocal than the happy.  As a result you make the disgruntled happy and the happy disgruntled.

I definately can understand that.  But who was stating the wind wasnt strong enough, Ive yet to read any posts about that?  It seemed to be pretty realistic and non arcade like before.  Very arcade like now.

The only issue Ive ever seen with the wind, and still see is missing the 6 oclock even .10 on the right of the meter with wind blowing right will veer 3 times what it should.  Miss that same click and wind left .10 and the wind cancels out.

As Crusher said earlier, I play enough to aim to miss to force a draw/fade opposite the wind.  Otherwise your at the mercy of wind which can gust mid air.

This is definately a flaw as purposely missing 6 oclock opposite the wind actually gives me an advantage in gusty conditions.

#74 #GCW

#GCW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Great update guys, I quite like the chipping physics - especially on firm ground - I generally dont play on any firmness setting under 5 so I haven't encountered the "magnet" like sticking.

One major issue that I still really dislike is the ball rolling too far in the rough - doesn't matter what the firmness setting is - a ball simply can not roll through thick grass!!

I have had balls land in the fairway at Sawgrass - then run through the rough all the way into a hazard! ridicilous!

The drag/friction setting in the rough really needs to be increased to make it more sticky!

#75 ZONA

ZONA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

100% incorrect:  3Clickers can fade and draw the ball by missing the snap on purpose. We also refer to the snap as the 6, as in 6 o'clock. Miss right or left of that deliberatly and you can impart some major ball spin.

No 100% correct. I never said clickers can't hook or slice. That's where the contact point comes into play. I said clickers have control over the contact point. So how could I be incorrect. You mention nothing regarding tempo. Do clickers just not feel that's an important part of the game. And no mention of swing path. A clicker can only control the flight shape of the ball by missing the contact point early or late, much like using the shot shaper tool. A mouse swinger can shape the shot by mouse swing path alone, not relying on the shot shaper to do the work for them. IMO, that's like having an aid turned on (with exception for hitting high and low). 

#76 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

Potential issues.

Just played a LOCAL Alt Shot game with players from my roster. Game lets me select same player multiple times, so I ended up with only 2 players playing a 4 man match, which you'll see from card below.

Also, after ending the game which yellow team won 2up, the scorecard is out of whack. I played the match on the B9 @ Florida Glades, but card shows Holes 1-9. Gives hole scores as 0 on every hole. Also there was no yardage, par or stroke index displayed. Not sure if this is because each team had same player playing twice.

rgD4VQq.jpg

#77 Ricky Proffer

Ricky Proffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationTyler, Texas

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

Potential issues.

Just played a LOCAL Alt Shot game with players from my roster. Game lets me select same player multiple times, so I ended up with only 2 players playing a 4 man match, which you'll see from card below.

Also, after ending the game which yellow team won 2up, the scorecard is out of whack. I played the match on the B9 @ Florida Glades, but card shows Holes 1-9. Gives hole scores as 0 on every hole. Also there was no yardage, par or stroke index displayed. Not sure if this is because each team had same player playing twice.

rgD4VQq.jpg

Did you click "back" on the scorecard?  That should show scores from the back nine. 

• Mike Jones and Dazmaniac like this

ASUS  G571JY Gaming Laptop

i7-4720HQ 2.59 GHz

GeForce GTX 980M

16 GB RAM

WIndows 10 64 bit

#78 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Did you click "back" on the scorecard?  That should show scores from the back nine. 

:D

• Dazmaniac likes this

#79 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

I definately can understand that.  But who was stating the wind wasnt strong enough, Ive yet to read any posts about that?  It seemed to be pretty realistic and non arcade like before.  Very arcade like now.

The only issue Ive ever seen with the wind, and still see is missing the 6 oclock even .10 on the right of the meter with wind blowing right will veer 3 times what it should.  Miss that same click and wind left .10 and the wind cancels out.

As Crusher said earlier, I play enough to aim to miss to force a draw/fade opposite the wind.  Otherwise your at the mercy of wind which can gust mid air.

This is definately a flaw as purposely missing 6 oclock opposite the wind actually gives me an advantage in gusty conditions.

Real life pros use this strategy to 'work the ball' into the wind direction to give them the best margin for error. 

#80 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

Glad you are awake Ricky, lol.

:D :D :D

That said, would be nice if B9 play has been selected, the card defaults to the correct nine on the card.

Also, re-posting just to re-raise the issue of being able to choose the same player twice on each team. Once a player has been selected for a round, you shouldn't be able to select him again IMO.

;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users