#41 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

In the online lobby where folks are setting games up, why is it showing the first value as a negative number in the players column?

EG.

PLAYERNAME    -1/3       STROKE          ILLINOIS

:mellow:

#42 jimvilla

jimvilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

I was able to login to Steam but I don't think it download the updates. I went to the Purfect Golf update page and it said for me to "Subscribe to RSS feed" Do I need to perform this action before I can get the updates?

#43 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

Jim,

No, If you have the game set to auto update in Steam, it usually detects you need an update when you log in and starts the download.

You could try checking the integrity of your game install cache. If this detects the build is not up to date, it should queue the update for you.

Right click on Perfect Golf in your library, select properties then the Local Files tab and you will see the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'.

My current build is showing as 548081.

;)

#44 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

....We wanted to try something different and allow people to focus on reading the greens and pace of them uphill downhill and not have to go through the incessant mathematical calculations to get to a spot on the swing meter to swing to.  

This is a perfect (for now) solution for putting and I would like to counter the arguments from TurbineSeaplane and pgadesertrat. I've made the argument before that putting 'distance' feel is almost wired in to good putters and I believe that's what the developers are trying to achieve - that is that they are trying to replicate the game of the pro golfer. Why would you replicate the game of a hack?

The last thing I would want is those stupid multiple distance gauges from previous games where there would be a gauge for 100 footers and a gauge for 30 footers and so on. Ugly! You really should be careful what you wish for as far as distance feel goes because no-one likes to three putt (or more) because they couldn't get a handle on the distance. And it's not just a straight 'hit the distance flag on the gauge' exercise. There is some consideration needed for the effect of gravity. For example, a putt that travels down a severe tier slope. 

The putting 'distance indicator' has been an outstanding innovation and a huge success as far as I'm concerned. If the devs come up with an improvement on that I'll be very interested.

• KenR, Barry, blueblood1995 and 2 others like this

#45 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

@Teddy:

Well, I really disagree, sorry. 

There's really very little challenge in putt execution right now (reminds me of the silly flop shot in The Golf Club), especially relative to the execution challenge of *all* the other shots in the game.

I actually think your comment about golfers having their "distance wired in on putts" is spot on --- But we aren't getting a chance to develop that skill for ourselves as the power/distance is 95% pre-determined right now with the "flagstick line".  It's sort of silly that all we do is "give it a touch more or less" power and we're done.

Something's wrong with the implementation if I'm going be nailing more winding 40 foot putts than professional golfers.  I literally hit several really long putts (in the hole) every single round.  That's just not right.  I'm not *that* good.

Putting needs to get at least a little bit harder to gauge (distance - again, aiming is great) for me to stay interested.

#46 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

TurbineSeaplane - I suppose I should ask if you use the grid?

I may as well point out, in respect to putting, that the direction difficulty doesn't seem quite right. I'm only referring to MS. It appears that it doesn't matter how much 'off' you are with the 1:4 ratio the ball doesn't deviate to any great extent. It's just a perception that is impossible to quantify.

#47 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:28 PM

@Teddy:  I'm 100% a BLI guy now - love it!!

I also agree with you on the direction difficulty - Also there is no tempo!  Lots wrong with putting in Motion swing.

I can literally take 5 seconds to get "just the precise power" on the putt meter and follow through however I want and it seems to have no negative impact on the putt.

Putting is broken to me right now.  There should absolutely be more asked of the motion swing player in terms of determining power for ourselves and requiring execution closer to the level of the other shots in the game.

The motion swing (other than putting) feels like so much work went into it -- and putting feels just the opposite, and almost like it was a tacked on afterthought or something.  :-(

#48 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:42 PM

@Teddy:

Well, I really disagree, sorry. 

There's really very little challenge in putt execution right now (reminds me of the silly flop shot in The Golf Club), especially relative to the execution challenge of *all* the other shots in the game.

I actually think your comment about golfers having their "distance wired in on putts" is spot on --- But we aren't getting a chance to develop that skill for ourselves as the power/distance is 95% pre-determined right now with the "flagstick line".  It's sort of silly that all we do is "give it a touch more or less" power and we're done.

Something's wrong with the implementation if I'm going be nailing more winding 40 foot putts than professional golfers.  I literally hit several really long putts (in the hole) every single round.  That's just not right.  I'm not *that* good.

Putting needs to get at least a little bit harder to gauge (distance - again, aiming is great) for me to stay interested.

First off you say a putt is way to easy but let's say you have a 35 ft putt and its downhill 21 inches and if you hit the flag on your backswing your putt is going to be about 15 ft past the cup. The flag gives you the distance but doesn't take into account the firmness or slope so in that situation you must come up short or you blow the ball by the hole. I keep hearing all this griping about the putting and we know it is not perfect but it's not bad and we know this team will make it better. I think some were expecting a finnished product and need to understand its a beta EA and a work in progress.
  • scoops100 likes this

#49 AwYea

AwYea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

If you play with aids off you can miss putts left and right with a bad stroke.(tempo still doesn't matter) It makes the putting difficulty about right. I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have separate assists for putting or just make no assists the standard for putting. This is for Motion Swing.

I actually think the putting balances the game out. I agree it's on the tad easy side, but considering how hard the game is tee to green I think it makes sense the way it is.

• Tigers Agent and IanD like this

PG + OGT & MP = Golfing Bliss! 

Steam-ahhyeaa

#50 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

I agree about needing assists to be different for putting/other swings - Excellent idea

#51 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

@greens: 

I understand what you're saying, but it's just too easy to make long putts right now.  Somehow they have to implement something that makes the golfer figure out (and practice over time) the correct amount of power from "zero power" for distances and situations.

Right now all we're having to figure out is "adjustments from perfect power to cup on a flat green".  It's making it too easy when it's automagically dialing in that amount of power and showing us a line to hit on the power meter to get that power.

Making several really long putts per round should be something that rarely happens and is a huge exciting thing when it occurs -- Not that happens routinely (as it has been for me)

#52 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

@greens: 

I understand what you're saying, but it's just too easy to make long putts right now.  Somehow they have to implement something that makes the golfer figure out (and practice over time) the correct amount of power from "zero power" for distances and situations.

Right now all we're having to figure out is "adjustments from perfect power to cup on a flat green".  It's making it too easy when it's automagically dialing in that amount of power and showing us a line to hit on the power meter to get that power.

Making several really long putts per round should be something that rarely happens and is a huge exciting thing when it occurs -- Not that happens routinely (as it has been for me)

I have to agree that making long putts is way to easy but I also agree with Andrew as to why they did it. We all know it is the one part of this game that needs fixed the most but for now we just have to deal with it. In reality it's no different than Links when it comes to putting as in Links making a long putt is way to easy also and TW was also way to easy. This is a very tough game right now from tee to green and when the putting is fixed it could be brutal. For the record I use MS and I can't comment on what it's like for 3C.

#53 ZONA

ZONA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

My thoughts on the putting right now. 

I totally understand the arguments to keep it the way it is now for clickers. And in no way am I saying that clicking is old school, but the Mouse Swing is the newer technology and there's a reason why it was introduced some years ago. Developers knew it was going to be a more intriguing format and offer gamers more control and options for every shot. A clicker basically has control over the power of a shot and the contact point. That's absolutely it, nothing else. The advantage a mouse swing gives you is that you have more variables that come into play. You have power control, tempo control, swing path and contact point, not to mention for motion swing, you're not staring at a meter gauge. You're actually watching the player, which is where your focus should be. 

I'm not a developer but I don't understand why there can't be totally different interfaces for both clicking and mouse swing. Keep it the way it is now for the clickers and for mouse swing, set it up the way it should be, getting rid of the meters and having the putting set up the same way the chipping is now.

I agree with several others that putting is crazy easy right now. I've only played the game for about 3 weeks and I've holed more 40 foot putts then I ever could have imagined. And if I don't make the 40 footer, I'ts a gimmie on my next putt. And these aren't flat putts either. You guys have seen the greens on these courses, they have plenty of tiers and undulations. So these long putts we're sinking is just crazy. It's actually much harder to make a 10 foot putt then a 40 foot putt IMO.

My only hope is that eventually this gets addressed. I'm not going to even attempt at saying which parts of the game have a higher priority then others because that's not for me to decide. I just hope it's not a situation where they get the game nearly complete and this gets forgotten about. We need 2 different methods of putting, 1 for clickers, 1 for mouse swing.  

• Arsam, Joe Habiger, MERACE and 1 other like this

#54 jimvilla

jimvilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

Daz I'm not sure what you mean by my librery I understand select properties but that's about it.

It's pretty bad when an old geezer like me doesn't understamd what you guys are saying but I appreciate the help. 

#55 PurpleTurf

PurpleTurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove, MN

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

Its a good update for medium greens, medium winds.  But has anyone tried to raise the hardness to 9 or higher, or set a windier round yet?

With higher hardness the fairway excelerated unnaturally and the bounce and roll is much more than it was before with lower trajectory shots.

Windy with tailwind my 5 iron went about 400 yards and tore through the rough like it was ice.  Driver into headwind, 170.  Even knock down shots look like they stop midair into headwind.

I understand Windy and firm greens were always clown golf, but it was sometimes fun.  Right now mostly unplayable.  Unsure why the wind even changed.  It seemed pretty realistic before.

Just a note, not a rant.  I actually like some of the changes, but some of the settings the physics took a beating.

#56 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

@Purple:

That's discouraging to hear.

#57 ZONA

ZONA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:13 AM

Just played a few rounds on the update and I have to say a few things have me very peaved. Several chips and bunker shots still don't have enough NEARLY enough ball energy after contact with the green. I hit this one chip shot where the ball had not even reached the height of the shot and this kind of super gravity or something sucked it back to the green incredibly fast, it totally looked unnatural. It happened on several occasions. I decided to test some things and while on the green, instead of putting I chipped the ball. What I found was that the ball hit and stuck with very little ball energy released. 

As well, the bunkers still have way too much bounce on them. My partner hit a driver into an upsloped bunker and the ball bounced forward and high and landed like 15 yards forward. A driver hit into an upsloped bunker and yet it bounced high like it hit a cart path almost. It doesn't happen every shot but I'm honestly going to say that 7 out of 10 shots hit into a bunker bounce WAY too high. Before there was absolutely almost no bounce and no roll or slide and now it's extreme bounce with the same no roll/slide. I think the middle ground somewhere in between the two would be ideal. 

Sorry, I'm trying to be informative and positive but I'm not a blow hard and gonna blow smoke up their butts while not trying to ruffle feathers. I think these guys at PG would rather hear honest feedback rather then just hear good news. I've done alot of testing of ball physics and terrain physics for other golf games and I know just how incredibly difficult it is to nail these things down. Sometimes you have them pretty close and then you change 1 thing in attempt to improve something and you do, but then 5 other things get messed up. It's not easy so we need to make sure we do what we're here to do. Give these guys as much feedback as we can and understand it's very difficult in getting all of these things to work correctly. 

As for the physics, I think there is still not nearly enough ball energy released on contact with the ground, with exception to the bunkers, I feel too much ball energy is converted into bounce and not enough into roll/slide. 

• Richard, ☠InDaSkies☠ and frank70 like this

#58 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

....just had a go on the new course, hole 16 OMG!! its very close in appearance to that early PP image I am so taken to, hit a shot out to that island green just for fun :)  lovin' the surroundings, will be great when we have a free cam to rove about the place more - for me its as much about getting away from it all and immersion within the environment as it is a game of golf (good walk spoiled as they say - oh pelt me with rotten tomatoes  :lol:

Still tempted to get hold of that other golf game out there just to have the options, but for now this is more than enough to keep me entertained, just wished the water graphic came with a little more variety and dare I say it 'colour' but I do like the general feel and moodiness of the game as I have previously stated - some beautifully reflective still lakes would be my ideal.

Thanks again PP - when I realise I spent as much on this game as last nights lager it really puts things in to context - without the post morning cringes - hahahah  :P

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

#59 Rush2112

Rush2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:19 AM

RUSH2112 and the meek shall inherit the earth :rolleyes:--what memories-wow
Just a lil tip, I never trust the onboard cmos battery even on a new combo buy, I always use a new one ;)

Okay I'm still learning here, is that the battery on the mb?

#60 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:45 AM

A clicker basically has control over the power of a shot and the contact point. That's absolutely it, nothing else.

100% incorrect:  3Clickers can fade and draw the ball by missing the snap on purpose. We also refer to the snap as the 6, as in 6 o'clock. Miss right or left of that deliberatly and you can impart some major ball spin.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users