15 replies to this topic

#1 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 03:30 PM

I know hardly anyone visits these forums any longer, but does anyone know anyone who still has some lidar data they can pass along?    I know I am not the best designer, but I would not mind continuing to build courses and lidar is the best way to do it.   I do enjoy building fantasy designs as well and I can continue to do that, but real courses are cool too.   anyways...

• Mulligan and Buck like this

#2 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 September 2024 - 03:22 AM

How about some assets compatible with the version of Unity?   hahaha   I'll take anything at this point!  

#3 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 01 October 2024 - 07:11 PM

RobV, 

Over at LinksCorner, Sage used LiDAR data that linkster provided to make the Shadow Creek Golf Course.  I don't think/know if the same LiDAR data that is used for Links/APCD can be directly used for PG/CF, but you might contact him and see if he can help create the data required for CF.  

Armand

#4 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 05:52 AM

Jugador uses the GS Pro method, he might help.

#5 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 03:40 PM

RobV, 

Over at LinksCorner, Sage used LiDAR data that linkster provided to make the Shadow Creek Golf Course.  I don't think/know if the same LiDAR data that is used for Links/APCD can be directly used for PG/CF, but you might contact him and see if he can help create the data required for CF.  

Armand

I can't believe how fast Sage creates his courses... no doubt he's got the lidar method down.. quickly, efficiently and honestly, some of the best made courses... still in LINKS!    Talk about keeping a community alive!!   Overall, I thought I read a thread at one point that Sage has no desire to create courses for PG...  had to be a while ago, but I think he just wants to stick to Links. 

#6 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 03:50 PM

Yes, Jug already mentioned to me how he has GS Pro and was able to figure out the lidar...  he did send me some links, I read them and man, way over my head..  I just do not have the time and quite honestly, the brain power to learn something new.   Plus, I think there is a charge for the editor, which is fine, but I just do not see myself spending the money for the time designing those courses.   Looks amazing though, the results have to be satisfying once completed.  

I have one or two more courses that I am messing around with... one with lidar, the other my own design.   Once released, I may "retire"..  I really don't see many players playing my courses anyway and they are rarely used in tournaments... and that's ok as I mentioned many times, I was just doing this as a hobby.   But playing many other courses from the past, I honestly do not think my courses are THAT BAD.. they may not be best courses around, but my courses were mainly designed for smooth play rather all the bells and whistles of other courses.. 

I see you have several beta courses over at PGLS...  do you still consider these beta courses or are they complete?   I really enjoyed your fictional course, Ellerston!   

#7 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 05:25 PM

Not fictional Rob, but it may as well be in terms of playing it.  Probably easier to play Augusta.  Really good course though, never finished to my satisfaction.  Now that I know they'll never have buildings, all my courses just need some finishing touches.  Like you, motivation is the thing.  I'd only be doing it for myself, maybe one or two others.  If you give em a go I hope you see what they could've been, I don't think I picked a boring course to do.

#8 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 09:00 PM

Not fictional Rob, but it may as well be in terms of playing it.  Probably easier to play Augusta.  Really good course though, never finished to my satisfaction.  Now that I know they'll never have buildings, all my courses just need some finishing touches.  Like you, motivation is the thing.  I'd only be doing it for myself, maybe one or two others.  If you give em a go I hope you see what they could've been, I don't think I picked a boring course to do.

Ah ok... its labeled as a "Fictional" course, which I love playing first before real ones..  I just enjoy course designers creations.. but real is cool too. 

Designer: jt83
In-game name: ellerston_beta
Real / Fictional: Fictional
Front 9 only?: No
Par 3 only?: No
Elevation: Sea Level
Added / Updated: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 am

Either way, I am making my rounds playing courses I have never did before, so I will definitely get to yours throughout my play through..

#9 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 03 October 2024 - 10:55 AM

Yes, Jug already mentioned to me how he has GS Pro and was able to figure out the lidar...  he did send me some links, I read them and man, way over my head..  I just do not have the time and quite honestly, the brain power to learn something new.   Plus, I think there is a charge for the editor, which is fine, but I just do not see myself spending the money for the time designing those courses.   Looks amazing though, the results have to be satisfying once completed.  

I tried a little on my own, but starting from nothing but the whole internet at my disposal, I couldn't easily figure out where to start to obtain lidar data, let alone get it into CF.  If there are web links or instructions to get started with, I might be interested in giving it a go...

#10 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 03 October 2024 - 09:21 PM

Hi Armand...DPRoberts (the head guy at OPCD) was sharing his OPCD tools with us a few years ago, so I'm "assuming" he doesn't have a problem with us using his method to download lidar. They use QGIS and Cloudcompare which are both free programs. It takes about 10 hours for the first try, but after you get the hang of it, you can put together a lidar pkg in about 30 minutes. Just follow the videos and instructions...

https://www.youtube....pnSfsqVL_MNHpjD

https://docs.google....1GaJf5z9fU/edit

• Armand likes this

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#11 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 03 October 2024 - 09:37 PM

Hey JT... :D  As long as it's in the US, (I have no idea how you guys get lidar in other parts of the world), I'd be happy to help out. 

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#12 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 03 October 2024 - 09:53 PM

I read them and man, way over my head..  I just do not have the time and quite honestly, the brain power to learn something new.   Plus, I think there is a charge for the editor, which is fine, but I just do not see myself spending the money for the time designing those courses.  

You can do this Rob!  :D  It's all free. You don't need to worry about the Blender, Inkscape and stuff (tho it is really cool). Just get the lidar and imagery, and you're good to go. 

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#13 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 05 October 2024 - 09:27 AM

Hi Armand...DPRoberts (the head guy at OPCD) was sharing his OPCD tools with us a few years ago, so I'm "assuming" he doesn't have a problem with us using his method to download lidar. They use QGIS and Cloudcompare which are both free programs. It takes about 10 hours for the first try, but after you get the hang of it, you can put together a lidar pkg in about 30 minutes. Just follow the videos and instructions...

https://www.youtube....pnSfsqVL_MNHpjD

https://docs.google....1GaJf5z9fU/edit

Thanks, Jugador.  I'll see if I can find some time to go through those over the next couple of weeks.

#14 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 October 2024 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, Jugador.  I'll see if I can find some time to go through those over the next couple of weeks.

I just gave the links...the real brain is a Masta Blasta over at OPCD :D  It was perfect timing, too. I was just about to buy Global Mapper for $700 bucks. He saved me some serious cash! I try to help out over there as much as I can, but those guys are waaaay over my head :wacko:

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#15 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 14 October 2024 - 06:15 PM

I just gave the links...the real brain is a Masta Blasta over at OPCD :D  It was perfect timing, too. I was just about to buy Global Mapper for $700 bucks. He saved me some serious cash! I try to help out over there as much as I can, but those guys are waaaay over my head :wacko:

First attempt using a local Calgary course, I ran into an issue - possibly an error on my part using the wrong datum for either inner or outer - so things didn't align (they were slightly off from one another).  I didn't even try to get the terrain into CF, but I hope to retry the terrain for this course in the near future.  I found and used Geotiff files, which seemed simple enough, but I'll have to be a bit more diligent next time around!

Second attempt I used a course I enjoyed playing a few years ago in the Phoenix area.  With over 100 tiles of lidar info for this course, my computer choked on them!  The process of thinning the data would have taken many hours, so I quit that after an hour or so.  I'll try again with a more compact course (less overall tiles) or perhaps I'll try with only a few holes of the course.  I'm also in the process of shopping for a new computer....

Regardless, the biggest issue I think I'll face is finding the lidar/heightmap information.  

#16 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 October 2024 - 03:20 AM

First attempt using a local Calgary course, I ran into an issue - possibly an error on my part using the wrong datum for either inner or outer - so things didn't align (they were slightly off from one another).  I didn't even try to get the terrain into CF, but I hope to retry the terrain for this course in the near future.  I found and used Geotiff files, which seemed simple enough, but I'll have to be a bit more diligent next time around!

Second attempt I used a course I enjoyed playing a few years ago in the Phoenix area.  With over 100 tiles of lidar info for this course, my computer choked on them!  The process of thinning the data would have taken many hours, so I quit that after an hour or so.  I'll try again with a more compact course (less overall tiles) or perhaps I'll try with only a few holes of the course.  I'm also in the process of shopping for a new computer....

Regardless, the biggest issue I think I'll face is finding the lidar/heightmap information.  

Sorry, can't help much on the Canada (tiff tiles).  :(  It sounds like you were trying to get waaaaaay too big of a plot. 100 tiles is way more than you should need. For example, if I wanted Raven GC in Phoenix, it looks like I'd only need about 9 tiles for a 2500x2500 terrain. What course in Phoenix were you looking at?    dziBuXm.jpeg

• RobV likes this

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users