Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

hyth.jpg

IMO there is way too much yellow in your fringe colour, and also in your shorter long grasses. I have hue-shifted the yellow and then lightened the colour a little to create a more balanced colour between fringe and rough.

I made a tutorial on colour matching for APCD that might be helpful, though I'm not sure how colour adjusting is handled within Unity.

http://youtu.be/G20hHyXV1vA

• shimonko likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#502 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Acrilix, always good to get some feedback and I'll likely revisit the colouring to see what can help improve things. Appreciate the link too..

#503 hyperrodik

hyperrodik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCambs

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Feel so jealous looking at these beautiful pictures  :)

ASUS G751

#504 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

And after extended trials with the PG Pre-Alpha, it was back to the CourseForge for me this week.

You see, one of the great insights (among many, many others) gained from test playing my Willow Heath course was that the distances turned out all wrong. In PerfectGolf all of my holes played considerably shorter than I designed them in the CourseForge. I lost about 10% of length.

That uniform shrinkage value of 10% quickly led to the discovery of the culpable feature, since such a calculation error was most likely linked to the conversion between metric and imperial units, which happen to differ by about that margin either way. And lo and behold, indeed, the CourseForge tape measure was found out to have converted meters, the standard Unity system, into yards... twice. A CF yard now measured 0.81 instead of 0.9 meters.

That's why you do alphas and betas and stuff, to catch those little buggering snafus in the act.

A week ago, an updated CF was delivered in which the yardage was sorted out, so that from now on, a yard here would be a yard there.

Still, I had built Willow Heath with a defective tape measure giving me wrong distances, so there was nothing else left to do for me but to return yonder and to boldly stretch out shorty into a larger shape. To relocate and replant all the tee areas; to change the design of the holes to accomodate the new shot lines; to enlargen all the greens which were 10% to small; to cut patches of grass and re-plant new ones. And to individually re-measure out, move and re-plant all the 100+ yardage markers already planted wrongly at wrong distances. A task of gargantuan proportions, leading to a cascade of consequences trickling down even into the tiniest of details.

WH-M2-X-XL_zpsbe801575.jpg

So here's the new, old design. Let me add a layout guide...

WH-M2-X-XLplus_zpsaba68206.jpg

Major overhauls and improvement were conducted on holes 3, 4, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18. I could go into details, but why should you bother. Here's just a few pics of Willow Heath Mark II. See if you can spot on the layout above where these might have been taken. And be warned - later in this gallery there will be your first sight of the new Moanument. No typo, it's just one of my pointless Obelisks that has landed on the premises...

(To view the images in full size, right-click on them and select "view in new window", which will lead you to my photo bucket. There, click twice on the little lupe symbol on the bottom right of the image.)

WH-M2-01_zps78012abb.jpg

WH-M2-02_zps35e33edd.jpg

WH-M2-04_zps088d8de4.jpg

WH-M2-07_zpse6faa63d.jpg

WH-M2-05_zps487112fb.jpg

WH-M2-065_zps8a540913.jpg

WH-M2-06_zps2ac9ce36.jpg

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#505 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Very nice K11.... you have indeed made light work of the 10% bug.... !

Love that monument too.... almost looks like it should have a humming as you approach it, such pride should fill it ! However, the brickwork needs a little cross-stitching, since you showed the angled edge. A very minor detail indeed, considering the beauty around it.

#506 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Looking real tasty, can't wait ;)  Love the tee areas

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#507 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thank you, thank you. Yes, I did refurbish all my tee areas, made them larger (or rather more generous), and added an extra mesh of blended transitions to fit them into the terrain a bit better.

There's a lot going on right now with those tees, I'm currently planting the spot from where players will tee off:

WH-M2-11_zpsfd2cb36d.jpg

And there's even more going on with my greens. Time to select and allocate pin positions. All of this sums up to quite a messy sight on the horizon when working with the CF planting tools.

WH-M2-10_zps11e9a4a6.jpg

But whenever I feel a bit overwhelmed by the burden of creation, all I need to do is remind myself that currently my dearest fellow designers who are "working" with the TGC course creator get to plant ONLY ONE PIN - and that quickly puts a big smile back on my face and a merry little chuckle into my mouth.

• barryverheul likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#508 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

K11

You are really making my mouth water waiting for PG.

But, why are all of your weeping willow trees all dead? :D

I'm sorry, I just had to ask, AGAIN!! :P

Richard

Posted Image

#509 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Excellent question, Richard. Yes, the willows.... never going to live down them willows...

They remain the signature tree of the place, albeit only a small population of them is contained arround the central ponds and Willow Manor.

WHwillows01_zpsfd33a4e9.jpg

They will mainly guard the 18th green with their flamboyant presence. Having seen the EA golf trailer, I'm currently busy building an aircraft carrier crashing into that green, spilling out helicopters and airplaines onto it, falling crashing down from its deck while you putt, and everything exploding in an infernal fireworks orgy of hellfire after your ball drops into the hole...

WHwillows02_zps8d9064f5.jpg

Just kidding. Man, that EA trailer reached new lows in the bottomless abyss of suckage...  

The willow trees always grow near to water, and will keep doing it at my place. Greetings from Willow Heath - wish you were here!

WHwillows03_zpsd9d9008f.jpg

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#510 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

https://www.google.c...w=1920&bih=1085

I don't think Willows turn in the Autumn.

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#511 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Dang, ya got me there! Oh, wait...

7214026268_5a3326acd3_z.jpg

Google image search: "willow tree autumn" 

:P 

The willow gender of Salix Kaboomensis Magnificens even turns in summer and spring, too. Something to do with iron and/or copper residues in the soil. Okay, I just made that up.

• TheBigYin519 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#512 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Aaaanyway...

Allow me to continue my never-ending report into the turmoils of course creation, even at the danger of showing and telling good stuff  to no one at all out there. Man, this place is really dead these last days... 

So, dearest unresponsive void, behold my latest collection of themed pictures, centered on the subject of "Clutter".

WHclutter1_zps149c8950.jpg

Clutter of the course designing kind, as you can see.

• 289 splines & meshes
  • 72 tees : Back, Member, Forward, Ladies  - CF comes with 6 tee types, I used 4.
  • 216 pin positions, 4 easy, medium and difficult on each hole
  • 18 shot points, 10 on par 4's, 8 on par 5's.
  • 6 fly-by cams (18 when I'm done)

WHclutter2_zps0077d4f7.jpg

And once you open the selection of your planting tools, you get to see them all, with their own little name tags! Even those that are half a mile away from you at the other end of your course.

WHclutter4_zps747d2569.jpg

So why would I bring this to your notice? Well, just to show you that it's not always a walk in park. 

WHclutter3_zps9da7a76a.jpg

And to give you an idea what your future may look like, should you want to design courses yourself one day. And I think that, yes, you should want to! Absolutely!  None of my business, of course. But you should. And then you should post your stuff. And then sit around and let everybody else ignore it. That would perhaps teach you how to (SLAP! SLAP! SLAP!)... thanks Mom! Nice triple, loved the backhand one in the middle. Yes, I needed that.

• barryverheul likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#513 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

K11, its not that we ignore it, far from it. I just cant find my clubs (yet). I am hoping they get delivered soon. As to designing my own course, I am pretty content to sit back, enjoy  and  marvel at the work of people that know what they are doing (or at least good at groping around in the dark)

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#514 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Man, this place is really dead these last days... 

not really surprising, as only a select few have access, don`t get me wrong your pics of your course design are appreciated, but you can only look at other peoples work for so long.

• Jimbobh likes this

#515 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

It now feels like a teenager hearing about how one or two of my mates lost their virginity while having no idea what a woman even looks like, apart from a few Polaroids that their mates showed them.

#516 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

another smart arse.

#517 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:10 AM

You got 26 pages and 4 months of replies for 1 course, I would say that's nothing to snibble about.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#518 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

Oh world! I just read an interesting study, the other day, about how social media and internet communication are not facilitating the conduct of a public discourse but rather impeding it, by punishing any form of irony, innuendo, ambiguity, complexity, subtlety or levity with blunt incomprehension and self-righteous literalism. Of course, I should have said "double-entendre" instead of ambiguity, just to force a few more readers into googling this term to understand it. Then again, that doesn't matter, since I just made that study up. Which is not say it would not have reached this conclusion if it ever had been conducted.

Does your head spin? Good. Here's a fart joke for those who struggle with big words and lengthy sentences:

fart-girl.jpg

Eloquent simile there, Brucey - you at least understand the power of language to create a cinematic spectacle inside other peoples mind. Your really made me feel your pain with your touching words. Sorry I can't do anything about it - except snapping a few more polas.  ^_^ 

• Brucey Mc and JoeF like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#519 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hey Golfers, hi to ev1,

K11 is the Man !

gr8 pic up here though !!!

cheers

#520 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

And yet you couldn't tell, I was paying you a compliment...It's ok to just say Thank you.  ;) 

Even though we butt heads from time to time, I have enjoyed this entire thread... It's been very eye opening as to how much work is involved using the CF/Unity tools to design a course...

I like what you've accomplished so far... :)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users